What a find. The model is so simple it hurts, yet it looks fantastic. Sometimes i really love such looker models. I think it's just perfect. The 79' Camaro was the epitome of the malaise era muscle cars, with their 150 horsepower V8s and horrible build quality.
I also bought a new camera, so i will make more pictures of the car in its dissasebled state, showing its skeleton and all the details. Coming soon. Untill then, enjoy those pics.
Just so you know, stuff is happening behind the scenes. I had an outdoor photosession with the challenger and made a lot of beautifull pictures. The car also performed a very successfull test run. And i found out that the gearbox with the lego clutch rings just can't cope with such high torques. The box was constantly jumping out of gear, so i had to hold the gear lever with my hand. The engine has no effort whatsoever pulling the car. We went uphill in second gear, and the engine didn't even slow down.
Which should show itself in a gigantic speed boost. The forum will be up shortly. I'm sorry for any inconvenience you expirienced in the past 2 days.
Forum works again. Happy chatting.
Sorry, no pics yet, but the diet was very successfull for me and the challenger :) I dropped 4 kgs, the challenger is 0.5kgs lighter. Basically i slimmed it down for the weight of the engine, which is about half a kilo as well. When i get the shipment of 3x3 connectors, i belive i can reduce the weight even further.
Ivan brought an interesting issue on hand, and i decided to investigate. Here it is (all measurements taken in gramms):
Front fenders: 150 each
Door panels: 140 each
Rear quarters: 200 each
Front clip: 300
First we tried to run the challenger for the first time, but we only succeeded to brake the driveshaft. So we discovered the problem. The differential needed to be redesigned, so this was the task at hand. Kudos to Zblj, who deserves full credit for the new diff, which incorporates the large studless turntable. Time flied, and me and Zblj had to part.
After Zblj went, i finished redesigning and improoving the rear suspension, and while i was at it i also perfected the front steering geometry and rebuilt the front part of the car behind the grille. Now i'm waiting for 40 pieces of 3x3 nxt connectors so i can redesign the car and make it 1kg lighter.
Car is officially done. Today i shot just some quick and dirty pics to please you, my dear viewers, who were waiting for this moment since may 2006. The official much better quality pics will be shot on saturday, including some movies of the test run.
Just some quick data. First the data from the mustang for comparison:
2005 LEGO Ford Mustang - weight 4.8kg , width/height/length (cm) 31/23/67
2008 LEGO Dodge Challenger - weight 5.7kg , width/height/length (cm) 33.5/22/82
I just had to do it. The pictures show just how much i've progressed in model making over the last two years, and it shows the power of the new studless lego. Despite the fact that the challenger is larger than the mustang and far more complex, it is STILL lighter than the mustang.
I think the mustang looks a bit frightened...