Challenger progress

I assembled something resembling a chassis, so i was able to fit the gearbox and driveshaft in between the front and rear axle module. Tested it with the engine.

Resume: I need a new differential. The force of the engine tore it apart. So i've built a new one today, which is even better than the one on the pics here. And it's able to take the force without problem. The gearbox works flawlesly. Engine lacks speed. But that's no news to our regular readers. I'll keep you posted on further progress.

I fitted the engine into the suspension, to see how it all lines up. At the same time i checked the ground clearances and other necessary stuff. Looks petty good so far.

Gearbox is almost done. Works very nicely and is 6 studs wide. I't's 5 stud around the center, but i had to add a stud more to the drivers side, to acomodate the shifting mechanism. See for yourself in the galery.

Just made an experimental 3 speed gearbox for the challenger!!! I went for realism, so the basic setup of this is like in a real gearbox. I had to modify the 20 tooth gears, so i could insert a clutch gear into each. Now i need to make a shifting mechanism for it and it is ready for action :)

I just had to do it. I "joined" the front and rear suspension, to check ground clearance, driveshaft position, wheel alignment, steering angle and stuff like that. I'm pretty pleased with the result so far. Here you can see what is built so far.

The rear suspension is in its almost final form. I will probably have to do minor alterations once i start to make the body, so it'll attach nicely. Till then enjoy tyhe pics.

I added some pics of my multilink rear suspension experiments to the gallery. There are 2 versions of the suspension in it, however right now i'm working on version number 3, removing a lot of the flaws of the first two.

The front suspension mockup you can see in the pictures i added to the gallery shows the final version of the suspension i will use in the Challenger. Never mind the structure of the "chassis". It's just a quick mockup, to attach the suspension onto something. It has a short upper arm and 2 long lower arms (SLA type) and resembles the original suspension. If i can, i will also include an anti roll bar.

Based on the new leaked pictures of the Challenger pre production body, i have decided to re-start the challenger. I will completly rebuild everything. And if it turns out like what i have built in my head, it'll be magnificent. I started work with something simple, the rear suspension. I'll keep you posted.

Syndicate content


User login

Navigation

Random image

DSC02286.JPG
Copyright © 1997-2009, Alex Zorko.